Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day 4

Today I started sketching at Tower Grove Park. The weather
was pleasant with a slight chill, but not anything a warm
jacket wouldn't take care of. The fall colors were just
beginning to change this week. People were out relaxing on
the grass and looking up at the sky.

It seems strange perhaps to go to the same location repeatedly,
but things are always changing, especially this time
of year. At first I was not paying attention to contrast
and the division in thirds of value, but soon I picked up
on this habit again and carried through the remainder of
the day's sketching.




I got one color sketch off before deciding that the sketch
book I was using was not very suited for watercolor.
It is sturdy paper, but not absorbent.









After the park, I ended up at Panera Bread on Grand Avenue
after making a brief stop at Dunaway Books.



There were some cool red Chinese style lamps that would
have made a fun full watercolor study. A medium sized
watercolor sketchbook is in my near future, I can tell.



By this time, I was really getting warmed up. I can tell
by the last drawing below that things were comming off
much faster.



It's maddness, I know, but than I was off to Mokabes
which has an entirely different atmosphere. It's smoky
as well, so usually I don't go.










I think in the future it might be good to not
just go for volume, but work up to some more
developed pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment