Friday, March 30, 2012

Saint Louis Urban Sketches - Downtown scene with Arch and Metro Sketches

Saint Louis Urban Sketches - Downtown scene with Arch and Metro Sketches

My girlfriend left me downtown as she went off to work. Downtown Saint Louis is out of my normal routine, but in the morning there is a bit of time between when she goes to work and when I have to arrive at my work. Usually, I can spend an hour or close to it drawing. I can take a few minutes to step outside my normal path and find something new to place in my sketchbook. On March 30th it was the sunrise over the Saint Louis Arch, as people ferried themselves off to work through the wide downtown streets. I stopped and watched people as they stepped from the sidewalk to the street and then to the sidewalk again sometimes in silhouette, and then into the light.

As I left the street myself, I stepped into the familiar train. People usually look deeply into their iPods or Android phones. They are removed from their surroundings except for the sound ques that they have trained themselves to hear when it is their stop. These sounds differentiate one station from another.

No comments:

Post a Comment