The large correlation between the distances within the whole body
When building a figure after life, knowledge and the interrelation of forms play a primary role in portraying the disposition of the figure. They stand, with different objectives and applications for primary practical artistic workshop use.
The most famous artistic and didactic examples are that of Leonardo da Vinci and Albrecht Dürer. Both documented useful procedures. The rules are based on the determination of the organic structure of the figure. With the help of the comparison of the same or similarly long distances we gain overview and organization. We are guided by measuring from the living model and explore (see figure):
- The line of symmetry of the central figure (strong red line from top to bottom) can be on the female body in the level of the pubic bone or of equal length share greater trochanter (= geometric center of the body, red arrows) in an upper and lower length.
- The sub-Long (leg length) is inserted through the intermediate form of the patellar rim (= position of the knee gap, strong black arrow) marks the middle of the length (= a body quarter).
- In the ascent of the nipples axis is in most cases below the upper body quarter (dashed line).
- Frequently halved the tip of the chin, the upper quarter (strong black arrow). This results in a proportional rule(canon), which in our example, the head is one-eighth of the total length. It is a suitable standard size (module) for further investigations distance on the height and depth (see also the profile figures).
The largest width dimension of trochanter to trochanter measuring just under a quarter to a full body.
The different arrow shapes indicate various important bullet points:
- red arrows indicate bullets I. Ranges
- full black arrows: bullets 2 Ranges
- linear arrows: bullet points 3 Range
- thin arrows: bullet points 4 Ranges