Monday, April 23, 2018

Figure Drawing - Process Buildup

This is a drawing done on sketch paper as an exercise to practice building up a drawing. If I was going to do a finished drawing, it would have been best to choose a good "drawing" paper.There is a difference. Charcoal is best on charcoal paper, ink works well on bristol paper, pastel grabs the texture of pastel paper best and drawings work best on drawing paper.


  1. In the above drawing I took my measurements first, blocked  in the figures's proportions first.
  2. Next, I suggested the darks and lights.
  3. Third, I blended the whole thing and softened the pencil lines up a bit by erasing into them against the stroke to "cut" it up a bit.
  4. Then I looked for the strong shadow primiters.
  5. Again, I blended it all in to soften and refine it.
  6. Lastly, I erased back into it to pull out some hilights. 
If I was going to refine it any further, I would go back and forth a few more times sharpening up the darks, then the lights and then blending it.


No comments:

Post a Comment